To obtain a co-joint position working in academia and as a clinician working in primary healthcare. To be an active contributor and collaborator in Australian healthcare reform.
Doctor of Philosophy, Nursing May 2017
Title of PhD: Consensus on a Specialist Clinical Learning and Teaching Framework for Australian Nurse Practitioners
Australian Catholic University
Certificate IV in Training and Assessment Dec 2011
Australian Institute of Management
Master of Science, Nursing May 2003
Geriatric and Adult Nurse Practitioner
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Bachelor of Science, Nursing and Spanish May 1999
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Jan 2019 – Present
Curtin University, Nurse Practitioner Program Lecturer
Currently serving as course coordinator and contributing to learning and teaching for Masters’ level students through Curtin’s Nurse Practitioner Programme. Conducting learning activities online and providing appropriate support so that students can demonstrate the intended learning outcomes of the course. Planning and contributing to curriculum innovation and design to develop student learning, whilst also providing support to the course team in the development of curricula and related resources.
Oct 2018 – Present
Mount Isa Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service, Nurse Practitioner
Mornington Island, QLD
Currently working as a primary healthcare nurse practitioner with a remote Aboriginal community in far north Queensland that is transitioning primary healthcare services away from the acute public sector hospital service. I have expertise in lifestyle modification and the management of a diverse array of acute and long-term health conditions. I provide autonomous primary, secondary and tertiary disease prevention and health promotion services, as well as advanced clinical care for persons of all ages.
Jul 2016 – Present
Australian Commonwealth Department of Health, Health Care Homes
Appointed to the Implementation Advisory Group for the Health Care Homes initiative by the Secretary of Health. The role of this group is to work collaboratively with the Department of Health to provide advice on issues relevant to the design, implementation and evaluation of Stage 1 of the Health Care Home model in Australia. Along with other experts and industry leaders, I provide advice on key implementation issues, ensure the work of the working groups is aligned with broader policy goals, review recommendations of working groups, provide advice on stakeholder engagement strategies, and provide ongoing evaluation of the implementation process by identifying areas for improvement.
Aug 2015 - Present
Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, Practitioner Member (ACT)
I currently hold a Ministerial appointment to serve on the National Board. Responsible for the oversight of the register of nurses, midwives and students of nursing and midwifery; setting national registration requirements; developing standards, professional codes and guidelines to inform nursing and midwifery practice; manage notifications, investigations and panel hearings; and approve national accreditation standards and accredited programs of study.
Nov 2014 - Present
Bridging Healthcare Pty Ltd, Director
I am the Director of a nurse practitioner consultancy that develops the expertise of private and public sector organisations in the design and delivery of nurse practitioner services, as well as the development of supporting governance frameworks. My consultancy provides clinical services, as well as an array of other minor services, such as expert nursing legal opinion, graphic design and website development.
Mar 2012 – May 2018
National Health Co-operative, Head of Nursing
Worked as a primary healthcare nurse practitioner with expertise in cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery in private general practice. Expertise in lifestyle modification and the management of a diverse array of acute and long-term health conditions. Provided autonomous primary, secondary and tertiary disease prevention and health promotion services, as well as advanced clinical care for persons of all ages. I provided healthcare services for university students and marginalised populations through homelessness and refugee clinics. I supervised and managed a team of registered nurses across ten different clinical sites in the Canberra region. I developed and implemented accreditation and continuing professional development activities relevant to primary health care and nurses new to general practice. I was responsible for leading the clinical governance of the organisation in collaboration with the Medical Director. I was responsible for the strategic direction of clinical nursing services across all Co-op health centres.
May 2018 – Sep 2018
Australian Commonwealth Department of Health, Nurse Practitioner Reference Group
Appointed to a committee of the Australian Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) Review Taskforce, referred to as the Nurse Practitioner Reference Group, by the Secretary of Health. The primary focus of the Taskforce was to review existing MBS items to ensure they reflect best practices. The focus of the Reference Group was to review MBS items as they relate to the Australian nurse practitioner role. The Reference Group reviewed evidence from the published peer-reviewed and grey literature, and considered draft recommendations from other committees, as well as submitting its own recommendations to the Taskforce.
Nov 2016 – May 2017
Charles Darwin University, Visiting Lecturer
Unit-coordinator and lecturer for nurse practitioner students undertaking a Master of Nursing degree. Informed design and production of supporting educational materials for CDU’s online introductory course, Framework for extended professional practice. Expertise developed in the design and use of Blackboard online classrooms. Developed and applied marking rubrics for written assignments. Designed and conducted regular online interactive lectures and lead the development of an online community of learning.
Nov 2014 – May 2017
Australian Catholic University, Sessional Lecturer
Lecturer for Bachelor of Nursing students. Design and production of supporting educational materials for lectures. Expertise developed in the design and implementation of Moodle-based online classrooms. Extensive experience marking papers and conducting written examinations. Extensive experience with Inquiry-Based and Interprofessional Learning in tutorials. Simulation experience in teaching practical skills to undergraduate nursing students.
Nov 2010 – Aug 2015
Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council
Appointed member of the Nurse Practitioner Program Accreditation Committee. Served as an Assessment Team committee member and expert clinical advisor for the Nurse Practitioner Accreditation Standards (2016).
Mar 2010 – Mar 2012
ACT Health, Walk-in Centre Nurse Practitioner
Nurse practitioner in Australia’s first government-sponsored nurse-led walk-in centre, with special attention to acute, episodic care for minor illnesses and injuries in persons aged 2 and older. The model of care aimed to further develop primary, secondary, and tertiary disease prevention and health promotion strategies in order to address local health priorities in the Australian Capital Territory.
Jan 2009 – Mar 2010
NSW Health, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Transitional Nurse Practitioner
Worked as a transitional nurse practitioner in collaboration with nursing, medical, allied health, and surgical teams to provide holistic, safe, and effective care for postoperative cardiothoracic surgery patients. Implemented the nurse practitioner role to decrease morbidity and mortality, whilst contributing to positive outcomes on key performance indicators.
Sep 2007 – Jan 2009
NSW Health, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Clinical Nurse Educator
Worked as a nurse educator on a 30-bed cardiothoracic and vascular surgery ward. Planned, developed and implemented education programmes for the accreditation and continuing professional development of nursing students, nurses and medical staff. Fostered a learning environment centred on evidenced-based nursing practice and supportive of a culture of learning and skills attainment in order to provide the highest possible standards of patient care. Responsible for hospital-wide educational initiatives as well as participated in root cause analysis committees and other quality improvement projects.
Jan 2007 – Sep 2007
NSW Health, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Registered Nurse
Worked as a registered nurse on a postoperative cardiothoracic and vascular surgery ward and intensive care unit. Special populations served are coronary artery bypass grafts, Bental’s Procedure, valve replacements, endoluminal repair of aortic disease and associated surgeries, lung resection and/or reduction surgery, and peripheral vascular bypass surgeries.
Dec 2004 – Dec 2006
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Nurse Practitioner
Worked in a nurse practitioner-driven cardiothoracic surgery service on an intermediate care post-surgical floor. Performed comprehensive, holistic, evidence-based medicine while collaborating with a comprehensive healthcare team. Special populations served were heart/lung transplant recipients, congenital heart disease, and coronary artery bypass/valve surgeries. Extensive and specialised training in the surgical management of aortic disease utilising stent graft technology and/or open repair.
Jul 2003 – Dec 2004
Cardiac Consultants, Nurse Practitioner
Worked as a nurse practitioner within a collaborative healthcare team to provide preventative, medical, and interventional cardiology care to patients in the chronic and acute phases of cardiovascular illness. Provided clinical expertise in the management of long-term health conditions in the acute environment. Developed, established and sustained an outpatient Chronic Heart Failure clinic that collaborated with an Acute Heart Failure nursing unit for enhanced patient outcomes. Provided nursing and staff education regarding Heart Failure and other cardiac illnesses. Lead and participated in quality assurance and patient care coordination activities.
May 2000 – Jun 2003
UW Health, Registered Nurse
Provided ward nursing duties on an 18-bed cardiothoracic surgery intermediate care unit. Special populations served were lung and heart transplants, oesophagectomies, bypass grafts, valve replacements, and reconstructive thoracic surgeries. In addition to patient care, duties included serving as a preceptor for new staff, undergraduate nursing students and involvement in unit continuous quality improvement activities.
Dec 2001 – Sep 2002
State of Wisconsin HIV/AIDS Care Program, Registered Nurse Case Manager
Collaborated with physicians, social workers, a nurse practitioner and a physician assistant to provide comprehensive care to over 700 individuals infected with HIV in southwestern Wisconsin. Supervised ancillary nursing personnel, provided direction in the management of acute and chronic health care problems, coordinated primary care programs for preventing illnesses in HIV-infected individuals, provided Spanish translation, and formulated/managed health information databases.
Jul 1999 – May 2000
Mercy Medical Center, Registered Nurse
Worked with several different health care disciplines in providing comprehensive care to patients on a 64-bed medical/pediatrics/neurology/oncology floor. In addition to patient care, duties included involvement with continuous quality improvement and Spanish language translation for patients and their families.
ADVANCED CLINICAL NURSING PRACTICE IN PRIMARY CARE
Crusader Clinic January 2002 – May 2002
Adult and Geriatric Primary Care Rockford, Illinois
Provided primary care services to impoverished and at-risk populations age 14 and older in an urban practice; treated acute illnesses, managed stable chronic illnesses, developed individualized management plans; performed complete history and physical examinations, health screenings; ordered and evaluated diagnostic tests; incorporated counseling regarding primary preventive health measures into periodic visits.
Veteran’s Administration Hospital May 2002 – August 2002
General Internal Medicine Madison, Wisconsin
Provided primary care services to active and retired military personnel living in Southwestern Wisconsin; completed full history and physical examinations; ordered, interpreted, and utilized information from diagnostic tests; prescribed medications and monitored efficacy in achieving patient care goals; utilized both medical and nursing models in providing comprehensive health care for patients with chronic and acute illnesses.
Scenic Bluffs Community Health Center August 2002 – December 2002
Adolescent, Adult, and Geriatric Primary Care Cashton, Wisconsin
Provided primary care services to a remote rural community and surrounding areas in northwestern Wisconsin. Worked to provide culturally competent healthcare for diverse populations including Amish and Hispanic Migrant Farm Workers. Worked in a shared-practice environment utilizing physicians, nurse practitioners, chiropractors, dentists, optometrists, and pharmacists to serve the healthcare needs of adolescents to centenarians. Provided urgent care services for the community: utilized suturing techniques, casting and splinting, minor surgical procedures, ECG interpretation, and XRay services.
Davis, Duehr & Dean Health System January 2003 – May 2003
Geriatric Services Madison, Wisconsin
Provided comprehensive and collaborative primary and acute care services to populations aged 65 and older in assisted living, extended care, and skilled nursing facilities. Established, developed, and maintained working relationships within the collaborative healthcare team to assist the elder in maximizing their autonomy in the home and community. Completed full history and physical examinations; ordered, interpreted, and utilized information from diagnostic tests; prescribed medications and monitored efficacy in achieving patient care goals; provided advanced wound care assessment, intervention, and evaluation.
- Charles Darwin University, Nurse Practitioner Unit Coordinator
- Australian Catholic University, Sessional Lecturer
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, Webmaster, Past Executive Board Member, Past Vice President
- Editorial Reviewer, Journal for Nurse Practitioners, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, Collegian, Australian Health Review, Journal of Advanced Nursing. BMC Family Practice
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council, Past Nurse Practitioner Program Accreditation Committee Member
- Australian Primary Health Care Nurses’ Association, Nursing in General Practice Expert Advisory Group
- ACT Clinical Senate, Past Appointed Member
- ACT Primary Health Network, Member
- University of Technology Sydney, Honorary Associate of the Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Health
- Southern Cross University, 2019 Development of Postgraduate Units in Primary Healthcare Nursing Course (AQF Level 8)
- KPMG, 2018 Consultancy, Sub-Contractor for "Cost Benefit Analysis of Nurse Practitioner Models of Care"
- Northern New South Wales Local Health District, 2018 Consultancy - Nurse Practitioner Governance Review
- Phillips Taglieri Barristers and Solicitors, 2017 Consultancy - Expert Opinion
- Northern New South Wales Local Health District, 2017 Consultancy - Service Review
- Mossy Cafe, 2017 Consultancy - Web Design
- Napier Keen Lawyers, 2015 Consultancy - Expert Opinion
- TressCox Lawyers, 2014 Consultancy - Expert Opinion
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council, 2014 Review of the Nurse Practitioner Accreditation Standards
- Red Hill Pet Concierge, 2014 Consultancy - Web and Graphic Design
- Centre for Marketing Schools, 2014 Consultancy - Graphic Design
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation, 2014 Standards for Nurses in General Practice
- Australian College of Nurses, 2014 Nursing in General Practice: A Guide for the General Practice Team
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, 2013 Graphic Design
- Greater Western Area Health Service, 2013 Consultancy - Expert Opinion
- Australian Medicare Local Alliance, 2012 Nurse Practitioners in Primary Care: Benefits for your Practice
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, What is a Nurse Practitioner?
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, 2012 National Member’s Survey
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, 2011 National Member’s Survey
- CNSA Annual Congress, Cardiac Assessment and the Person with Cancer (Jun 2018)
- APNA Foundations in General Practice Nursing Workshop, (May 2018)
- AHHA 10-Year National Health Agreement Town Hall Meeting, Nurse Practitioners: An Untapped Resource (March 2018)
- CNSA Cancer Nurse Practitioner Specialist Practice Network, Cardiovascular Considerations in the Oncology Client (November 2016)
- 9th INP/APNN Conference (Hong Kong), Educating for Health Service Reform: Clinical Learning, Governance and Capability (September 2016)
- 9th INP/APNN Conference (Hong Kong), An Exploration of Nurse Practitioner Confidence, Experience and Consensus in Delphi Research (September 2016)
- 9th INP/APNN Conference (Hong Kong), Validation of an Australian Nurse Practitioner Specialty Taxonomy using Delphi Methodology (September 2016)
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, 11th Annual National Conference, Consensus Conference for the Un-Validated Australian Nurse Practitioner Metaspecialties (September 2016)
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, 10th Annual National Conference, Nurse Practitioner Confidence and Expertise in a Modified Delphi Study (September 2015)
- AusMed, Nurse Practitioners: Funding, Diagnostics, De-prescribing and Law Seminar (June 2015)
- Australian PHC Nurses’ Association, APNA Continuing Education Workshop, Cardiovascular Risk Reduction for Practice Nurses (May 2015)
- Australian PHC Nurses’ Association, APNA Continuing Education Workshop, The Nurse Practitioner Journey (August 2014)
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, Webinar, Review of the Nurse Practitioner Accreditation Standards (July 2014)
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, 8th Annual National Conference, Taking the Leap into Private Practice (September 2013)
- AusMed, Medicines and Prescribing Conference, Management of Common Cardiovascular Conditions (December 2012)
- AusMed, Medicines and Prescribing Conference, Treatment of Common Infections in Primary Care (December 2012)
- 7th INP/APNN Conference (London), Poster Presentation, Walking a Fine Line: The Lived Experience of Defining Nurse Practitioner Practice in a Walk-in Centre (August 2012)
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, 6th Annual National Conference, The 2011 ACNP National Survey (October 2011)
- Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand/RNIG/ANZSRS, Combined NSW Respiratory Education Meeting, Just the Basics Please: Advanced Understanding of Chest Drains and their Management (October 2010)
AFFILIATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Adult Nurse Practitioner Certification: American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners, Member and Faculty of the ACNP
- Australian Nursing Federation, Member
- Australian Primary Health Care Nurses’ Association, Member
- American Nurses Association, Member
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society
* NOTE: The views and opinions expressed on this website are my own and do not reflect those of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, nor those of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.